Voices of the Caretakers: Stella




Easily spottable from any matatu driving in on the gravel entrance to Kibera, the Umande Trust building and attached bio-centre stands three stories tall overlooking a busy road filled with people, umbrellas, shops, and cars. While the top two floors of the building is office space, the bottom floor is a complete bio-centre with 4 toilets on each side and 2 showers in total. This bio-centre also comes with a fridge filled with soda for passersby who may want a treat. The caretaker of this bio-centre is Stella, a 29 year old woman with three children at home. This is Stella’s second month working at the bio-centre here and in her first month here says that she considers her job fair.
 Stella spends most of her day sitting on a white plastic chair outside of the steps of the bio-centre, collecting the five shilling fair for using the toilet and the fifty shilling fair to get a soda. She also cleans the bio-centre two to three times per day. While she is not sure of the exact number of people who come to her bio-centre everyday, she estimates that there are about 200-250 customers on an average weekday. Stella says that the biggest challenge of her job is the lack of water in the bio-centres. She says that there have been quite a few times where the bio-centre has been inoperable due to water scarcity and in return her customers become upset. As the caretaker, this is little she can do about the lack of water and she finds these times frustrating.

 Stella took this job because of the lack of job opportunities in Kibera. She uses the money she makes from being a bio-centre caretaker on food, clothes and school fees for her and her family. Overall, Stella says that she would describe her job as “good”. She wishes there were more opportunities for her, but she is content with being employed at this bio-centre

Comments

  1. IT WORKS EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD!! JUST LOCATE AN ATM MACHINE!!!
    Hello Everyone!! I am Clare. I live in Chicago,USA. I'm 37 years old,I got my Blank ATM Card from Alexander last week to withdraw up to $4,000 daily and now I have used the card to withdraw about $90,000 for free. I was reluctant in purchasing this Blank ATM Card I heard about online,but I was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got the card from an online hacker and we both confirmed it really works. Without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then my life changed and money has been in my own account. So glad I got my card it truly works and made me rich!! If you need this card don't hesitate to contact Alexander on his email: alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT WORKS EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD!! JUST LOCATE AN ATM MACHINE!!!
    Hello Everyone!! I am Clare. I live in Chicago,USA. I'm 37 years old,I got my Blank ATM Card from Alexander last week to withdraw up to $4,000 daily and now I have used the card to withdraw about $90,000 for free. I was reluctant in purchasing this Blank ATM Card I heard about online,but I was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got the card from an online hacker and we both confirmed it really works. Without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then my life changed and money has been in my own account. So glad I got my card it truly works and made me rich!! If you need this card don't hesitate to contact Alexander on his email: alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Local NGO combats insufficient sanitation in Kibera

Bio-gas lighting at Kayaba Ushirika wa Usafi na Maendeleo (Kuum B); Mukuru Settlement

Earth Day Event: Umande Trust X Kidani Youth Venture